Mission, Purpose & Values
- To improve the health and quality of life of underserved communities and individuals by promoting positive changes in lifestyle and the environment through community service and development, advocacy, research and training (CART).
- To foster healthy communities in the U.S. and abroad through productive individuals who areliving longer and contributing to the betterment of their communities among the variousunderserved groups.
- To integrate Kalusugan Community Services’ projects and develop a comprehensive community program.
- To foster coalitions and networking between agencies.
- To serve as a clearinghouse for educational materials through the library, newsletter, website and media.
- To serve as a hub of KCS’s activities and community relations for grassroots organizing and empowerment.
- To disseminate health information to the community.
- To conduct evaluations that will form the basis of future programs.
- To conduct research and collect data on Filipino-Americans.
- To train students and provide fieldwork activities.
- To advocate for health and social needs for Fil-Am communities through systems change to influence policy and legislation.
- We take a leadership role as a dynamic, forward thinking organization that innovatively responds to a changing community.
- We uphold the Center as a health social, economic and cultural resource for teh Filipino-American community.
- We advocate for the emerging needs of the Fil-Am community and help empower them to advocate for themselves.
- We promote optimal health at the Center. Optimal health is defined as a balance of physical, emotional, social, spiritual and intellectual health.
- We value health promotion as the science and art of helping people change their lifestyle to move toward a state of optimal health. Lifestyle change can be facilitated through a combination of efforts to enhance awareness, change the behavior and create environments that support good health practices.
- We recognize the importance of reaching out to individuals and families and provide intergenerational activities that include grand-parents, parents, children and extended family members.
- We acknowledge that community support and collaboration are integral components of the success of our programs.
- We appreciate cultural diversity and consideration of one’s cultural roots and values in the understanding and solution of family problems.
- Our board staff comprise a diverse group of individuals who support the mission and values of KCS; and are committed to maintain the trust of the community by being a stable, responsibly managed organization.